Friday, July 25, 2008

Holy wow.

So. In the last week or so, so much has been going on, I really don't know where to start. So I'll start with the most important thing of all...

The Donuts.

So far, T and I have successfully located 3 makers and distributors of donuts in West Los Angeles that effectively kick the hud out of anything I've had in Boise OR Salt Lake. The only comparable I've ever had is Voo-Doo Donuts in Portland Oregon (those of you in Boise, it's totally worth the drive. Those of you in Salt Lake...STILL totally worth the drive. And the Gas money.)

The best of the best thus far, is undoubtedly Stan's Donuts in Westwood, right by UCLA. Their Buttermilk Crullers are light fluffy, and cake-like, their apple fritters are moist and juicy without being overly oily. They manage to integrate the bright flavor of the apple with the low near-bitterness of caramelized granulated sugar, it's subtly spiced, and not over glazed...in short it's the single-most perfect fritter I've ever had the joy of putting in my face. They also get bonus points for creativity...the banana-peanut butter stuffed is pretty amazing. (yes, stuffed with real peanut butter and fresh slices of banana...holy wow.)

1 comment:

Kate and Wiley said...

Oh man I am so jealous Michelle! I LOVE DONUTS! It sounds like you are having quite an adventure down there in California. I hope you are doing well!