Wednesday, July 30, 2008

To Therapy or Not to Therapy?

Dear previous jobs...

You've spoiled me rotten.

As I've been looking into different job opportunities, I'm kind of deciding the whole social work/psychology career path is a bum deal. There aren't many options for someone, such as myself, with a degree and three years related experience to make a decent living. (at least decent by Los Angeles standards. Rent hurts.) There are TONS of amazing entry-level opportunities for interesting non-profits.

Problem 1-working through College at La Europa, I had the opportunity to gain a lot of experience that a lot of people aren't lucky enough to have till after they graduate. The jobs I'm looking at that don't require a Master's degree look boring. And I don't want to get my master's, not yet, maybe not ever.

Problem 2- non-profit typically translates into not a lot of cash, and working without a lot of resources.


Poop. Am I a bad person for no longer wanting to make less in exchange for the joy of the job? Have I topped out too soon? Am I a brat, or is this legitimate thinking here?

1 comment:

Christy said...

No, no! It is legitimate thinking! I, too, believe that I was spoiled rotten with my previous jobs. I loved them, and gained so much valuable experience that many people in my field don't get until they are 4 or 5 years out of college. Let me warn you, though....the job I took in Idaho, I took for reasons of more money. If I were to live in Salt Lake, it would be the equivalent of getting paid 65,000 a year. It's much less than that, but the cost of living here in Gooding is WAY cheap. Anyway, my point is this: I gave up a really great job to make more money doing something that BORES ME TO DEATH for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I've realized (am realizing now) that it's not about money. I know that wherever Derrick gets accepted to PT school, when I look for a job, I will be looking for an editing/design job (even if that means we have to cut back on other expenses), and NOT a technical writing job. Sure, I can make a heck of a lot more money being a technical writer...but waking up each morning dreading my job, well, it's not the way to live life. (Sorry this is so long-winded)

Anyway, you should do what's best for you, whether that means taking a job that pays more so that you can get by in LA (ahhh! I bet your rent is a killer!), but if you can tighten your belts and take a job doing the more-exciting/less-pay job, than I say take it. But, you're Michelle, and I've always known you to be the kind of person to make the best of everything. That's just who you are. You are much less pessimistic than I am! :)

By the way, I miss your guts, and I think we should chat...it's been too long.