Tuesday, July 29, 2008

5.8...or 5.6... or 5.4... 5.3?

First day of work today.

Oh, yeah. And there was kind of an Earthquake.

So, T and I are in the same office, and T is back in the bookshelves putting some stuff away, when all of the sudden everything starts moving. And not like shaking, long rolling movement. While I've been in similar earthquakes before (my elementary school had quarterly fire and earthquake drills), I've never been in one this long in duration, we moved for a good twenty seconds. (news said thirty, but I think that may have been a stretch.) The thought glazes my mind- "the Teachers said to get under the door-jam," but I opted against it, since watching everything on the walls sway was kind of fun.

After it ended, every one in the office was pretty excited. The large big-screen in the common area was turned to news. "It was a 5.8! Nothing has happened! BREAKING NEWS! It was a 5.6! A pipe broke! BREAKING NEWS! It was a 5.4! Some book shelves fell down!" Last I saw it was a 5.3, and BREAKING NEWS local firemen can be seen mopping up puddles at Maceys.

Oddly enough, of everyone in the office, T and I, the newest California residents, seemed the least concerned by the earthquake. T was primarily relieved that all his filing shelves hadn't been disorganized, while I was just amused by the thought of thirty-two first graders crowding under the one door-jam.

If nothing else, it's been fun to work here because the people here are fantastic. As T puts it there are smilers who want to work in movies and television so they can smile and say "Hey! I work in movies and television!" Then, there are the people who actually do the production work. And they are the geeks, in the BEST possible way. And these are the people I've been hanging out with today. Yay temp job.

No comments: