Monday, December 8, 2008

Brave New World.

I am officially addicted to goodreads.com.

I encourage you all to join and add me. As of late I've been a bit anti-social and a lot pro-book. And this website has been my enabler.

Brave New World Brave New World by Aldous Huxley


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book is most similar to other dystopian fiction I've read in it's celebration of the value of individualism. Where it differs is in the emphasis it places on the denial of pleasure. Huxley seems to think that feeling good makes you stupid and meaning and value in life are only found through suffering.



While I found the book very interesting and engaging, occasionally when Huxley wanted to make sure you "got it" the characters would go off on these long expositional conversations, explaining the philosophy behind their actions to each other (and conveniently to me). Hux. I get it. You want me to get it. And while I appreciate that, I don't need it spelled out five times.



Glad I read it, not a favorite.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I am obsessed with GoodReads. What an amazing site for literary junkies!

Kate and Wiley said...

I remember reading Brave New World in high school and I thought it was pretty good. I just recently read The Hunger Games and it was SO good. I couldn't get enough of it and I have thought about it every day since then. Oh and if you decide to read it then you must know it is the first of a trilogy...and the next book doesn't come out until Sept. 2009. Its killing me.... :)